Monday, November 2, 2009

Very Blessed by Godspeed

So, this past week I was working at a security desk in the library and an acquaintance walked by. I asked how he was, and he, being from Texas said, "very blessed". This term is one that I have heard a billion times. As I was serving as a missionary in the Houston area I heard it at least a few times a day. "how are you?" "very blessed". If I heard this phrase 3 times a day, which I am sure that I did, I must have heard it 1,641 times. The sad thing is that even though for a year and a half I heard this phrase over and over again, I never really stopped to think about what the people were actually saying. A couple of days ago I did. I realized, and was explained by this young man, that it was a way of reminding himself that everything he has is due to the Lord. Intriguing, I know. We go about our lives trying to become better and accomplish many different tasks, and everything we do, receive, or give is all because of the Lord. How many times do we really stop to think about what that means.

I began thinking about this during fast and testimony meeting at church this past weekend (if any of you don't know what that is, ask, I'll explain). As the sacrament was being past I was thinking of the sacrifice my Savior has made for me. This thought lead to gratitude and how I can more fully show it. The next thing that came in this train of thought was the term 'very blessed'. It amazes me how simple it is to show our Heavenly Father and His Son how grateful we are for the things we have been given in our lives.

I'm not perfect, as most people know. In fact, I am a very inadequate individual most of the time. At times I feel as if there is more in my life to mourn and moan over rather than praising God and showing gratitude. This brings me to the second phrase I have been pondering this past week, "godspeed". What is that even supposed to mean? It only took me a second or two to break it down and realize, it means exactly what it says, "god's speed".

The Lord has his own timing. I don't always, and most of the time don't, understand why things happen on the timetable they do. All I know for sure is that God is in charge. He knows when in our lives it will be best for us to have anything and everything happen. We hear the term "good luck" quite a bit in our society. It's one of those patterns of speech that comes without even thinking because it is so common. Yet, I don't believe in luck. I believe in faith as an action word. The stronger our faith is and the more we act on it the more our Father in Heaven is able to bless us. "Luck" is a blessing given to us that we don't necessarily deserve but our Father has seen fit to give us. Yet, it has to be in his timing, because even though we desire it, it might not be the correct thing for us. He knows when and what we are supposed to get in our lives for us to become what He would have us become. So the next time you go to say "good luck" to someone, think twice about how it is in the Lord's hands, not yours, and Godspeed...you're very blessed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Michael and Squishy

Michael and Squishy
The Runners

Jason

Jason
One of the Tikes that got me thinking